CORPUS CHRISTI, Texas – Local leaders are extending the vehicle traffic ban to Nueces County beaches until Aug. 17.
District Judge Barbara Canales made that official news moments earlier in Thursday’s daily conference in the county town. The new order takes effect on Friday.
Vehicles have not been allowed on the beaches of Nuece County since before the Fourth of July weekend. The ban was set to expire Saturday morning. That means for another two weeks, the only way to the beach is on foot.
“Cars down there, they park wherever they want, and that allows people to have more space,”; said Rebecca McKinzie.
McKinzie and her family regularly vacation here from Fort Worth. She believes keeping cars off the beach is a good thing.
It’s not as crowded as normal when we get down here, “she said.” I know people are upset about that, but I think everyone should do their part to help reduce and maintain issues. (Covida-19) “.
Since the vehicle ban went into effect, new cases of the novel coronavirus in Nueces County have dropped.
“We are about 100 cases less per day,” said Corpus city manager Christi Peter Zanoni. “On average a 100 less, but we are still in the 200-250 range.”
Zanoni said local executives believe the ban on vehicles on the beach has helped reduce those numbers of cases.
“Anything needed to reduce the numbers would be great,” said beachgoer Caitlyn Chance.
However, not everyone agrees that keeping vehicles off the beach is effective, saying the ban makes social distancing near impossible.
“It’s not so bad today; it ‘s during the week, “said Padre Island resident Annie Hoefel.” But over the weekends, I guarantee you there will be three or four layers of people lined up here, squeezed into a small area. “
Another concern is the debris left behind by Hurricane Hanna, especially south of Bob Hall Pier. Coastal Parks director Scott Cross said his crews have plenty of sand to get back to the beach before he is safe for traffic.