Following the resignation on Thursday of Iran State Department envoy Brian Hook, President Donald appointed as his current replacement representative for Venezuela Elliott Abrams, a prominent figure and supporter of Latin American death squads who was convicted in 1991 of holding of information from Congress during Iran -Contra scandal.
Abrams will now serve in both roles simultaneously, alerting anti-war groups, who say anyone with a record as stained blood as his “should be banned for life from government positions and recognized as a criminal” the war that he is “.
“From El Salvador to Guatemala, Nicaragua to Panama, Elliott Abrams’s life work has been determined by the worst impulses of American foreign policy: embracing war, ignoring gross human rights abuses, and supporting horrific regimes. authoritarian, “said Stephen Miles, chief executive of Fito without a fight.
Abrams̵7; appointment as special envoy to Iran comes days after he confirmed during a Senate hearing that he was still “working hard” to oust Venezuelan President Nicolás Maduro. Sina Toossi, senior research analyst at the National Council of Iran (NIAC) warned that the installation of the Trump administration by Abrams as a top US diplomat in Iran shows that President and Secretary of State Mike Pompeo is “doubling” in their efforts to regime change also in Iran.
“Like most of Trump’s nominees,” Toossi said, “he is not fit for the position and will continue to undermine US interests by adopting a failed strategy, which will only succeed in spreading chaos and misery.” .
In a statement late Thursday, anti-war group CodePink provided an overview of Abrams footage and a record dating back to his time in the Reagan administration:
- In the 1980s, he defended the infamous Guatemalan general Efraín Ríos Montt, whose violent crackdown on the indigenous Ixil Mayan population of Guatemala was so brutal that it was classified as genocide by the United Nations.
- He denied that the Salvadoran army was responsible for the devastating El Mozote massacre where, in 1981, a U.S.-trained battalion killed more than 500 civilians, cutting the throats of children along the way. Not only did Abrams deny the massacre and urge continued US support for Salvador’s infamous brutal government, but he even claimed in a 1994 interview that “the US administration record in El Salvador is one of the most remarkable achievements.”
- He is strongly anti-Palestinian and shamelessly supports Israel. As George W. Bush’s aide to the National Security Council, Abrams did everything he could to thwart the peace talks. He consistently underestimated any US pressure on Israel to stop building settlements, citing the Holocaust as an excuse for Israel to kill Palestinians (Jews are “a people who have learned from history what happens to Jews without security”). In 2015, he applauded then-President John Boehner’s decision to invite Netanyahu to address Congress without President Obama’s approval. He praises the Gospel descriptions of Israel, such as the belief that “Israel is associated with the idea that God favors and protects Americans.”
- In 1991, Abrams pleaded guilty to withholding information from Congress about his involvement in the Iran-Contra scandal, covert and illegal fraud in the 1980s to raise profits from Iranian arms sales to support right-wing rebels Contra trying to overthrow the Sandinista government.
- Abrams was a major supporter of the catastrophic invasion of Iraq. In 1998, he sent a letter to President Clinton encouraging him to oust Saddam Hussein. As Deputy National Security Adviser to the Global Democracy Strategy during George W. Bush’s second term, Abrams was at the forefront of promoting the Bush strategy for “advancing democracy abroad.”
- Abrams led the U.S. overthrow of Muammar Gaddafi in Libya, echoing tactics used by neocons to intervene in Iraq.
- Abrams’s opposition to the Iran Nuclear Deal is embodied in his efforts to encourage Israel to bomb Iran’s nuclear sites before negotiations become too serious. He expressed concern that Israel’s ability to thwart the deal was “already being significantly curtailed by the diplomatic amalgamation because it is one thing to bomb Iran when it appears hopelessly submissive and isolated and quite another to bomb it when “Most of the world, especially the United States, is optimistic about the prospect of talks.”
- In January 2019, Abrams was appointed as the U.S. Special Representative for Venezuela, and used his position to support a coup attempt, disrupt diplomatic talks, and increase brutal sanctions, even during a pandemic.
“The dangerous conflict that comes from Trump’s withdrawal from the nuclear deal will be exacerbated by a man committed to Washington’s failed regime change policies,” CodePink said. “Elliott Abrams has made a career of lying and committing crimes that have led to the death and suffering of innocent people from Guatemala to Iraq. He embraces militarism, covers major human rights abuses and has a history of support of authoritarian regimes. “