1. The football season in college seems to be hanging in the balance, but I have a feeling that the history for the future of this sport will have many twists and turns before we know the official result.
But for the sake of me needing something to write about today, let’s go with the script that the whole season will be canceled this week.
Here is the No. 1 question I would have: What does the NFL do when it comes to planning Saturdays?
Is there enough time for the NFL to adjust its schedule for 2020? Will the leagues try to dominate Saturdays by playing games at 1pm, 4pm and 8pm? Will they only opt for games at 4pm and 8pm, or would the NFL just add a Saturday pack at 8am?
Then you have the question of which network would broadcast the extra games. The league̵7;s broadcast partners – CBS, NBC, Fox and ESPN – would have open spots for NFL games as not all air college football games would take place. Plus, there is always the NFL Network.
As with everything, it will come down to money. The league seeks to make up for lost revenue by not paying customers at their stadiums. Networks need to fill time and sell ads to cover losses from losing college football games.
So the money the NFL tells you and its broadcast partners will definitely want to make Saturday an NFL day. The biggest question will be reaching an agreement on logistics and timing.
And, of course, playing a season from start to finish.
But it’s hard to imagine the NFL not trying to capitalize on Saturdays open if the entire college football season is canceled.
2. TNT’s Ernie Johnson celebrated a birthday over the weekend and his network shared this amazing reaction of Inside the NBA hospitable.
3. Thanks to former Washington quarterback Mark Sanchez, we know the organization needs to update its official title.
4. Former WWF star Kamala died on Sunday. Wrestling fan Fando will want to watch the video of one of his matches below just to see his opponent.
5. The last Sports Illustrated Media Podcast contains an interview with Sports Business Gazette reporter John Ourand, who joined me to discuss the latest sports media news, including the future of NFL television and what packages might be on the move, Rock buying XFL, WWE’s newest big rental , the state of the podcast, why the gambling explosion will happen and much more.
You can listen to the podcast below or download it on Apple, Spotify, Stitcher and Google Play.
6. RANDOM VIDEO OF THE DAY: I discovered Gordon Ramsay’s TikTok account over the weekend. The chef just makes fun of people’s awful efforts to create wild dishes, and it’s a lot of fun.
7. VIDEO SPORTS OF THE DAY: No college football would say no College Game Day, and that would hurt.
Make sure that grab past editions of Thought Traina and watch the Illustrated Media Podcast hosted by Jimmy Traina at apples, Spotify or stitcher. You can also follow Jimmy on tweet and Instagram.